huskies
I purchased Premium Whole Genome Sequencing (30X).  Yet, at my YFull.com analysis I am only seeing 5 reads and other low number of reads.  

What should I expect?  
YFull-5 reads.png 

Thanks.

Bill
Quote 0 0
Petr
30x for chromosomes 1-22 means 15x for chromosome Y. And this is an average. I have several Dante kits and YFull shows the following at their "Statistics" page:
Mean depth coverage:16,3317,7310,7013,0114,0912,7716,3211,0613,84
Median depth coverage:15159111311151012

Petr
Quote 3 0
anorris8
Petr is right, ~15 reads on average.

Does your Dante Account have the "DNA Explorer" option? You could look at your reads for ChrY there to see how many reads cover a specific base (to visually confirm the YFull results).
Quote 1 0
huskies
Thanks, I think I did this correctly.  My first time with DNA Explorer.  I assume each row with a red T is a read.  So, YFull correctly has 5 reads.

2020-03-22 19_44_56-Genome Manager - DNA Explorer.png 
Quote 0 0
Martin
That's curious, certainly. I saw that I also have about 15 reads on chrY, but 200 on mtDNA. @huskies Just regarding your "question", using IGV, each GREY band is a read; the red T there mean that the read differed from REF Match (in your case, G). Maybe you can find some position in some chromosome were you have more bands than red calls; that means that the other ones match with reference. The WHITE bands are the non-reads or errors.
Quote 1 0
Martin
@huskies, here you can see what I mean:

Clipboard03.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Erik Chapman
The number of reads varies somewhat with sample quality.  I've attached what my analysis is from a program that analyzes BAM files.  Apparently I got 11x on Y, but the overall average is 39X.  

The program that produced this BAM analysis is WGS Extract, released in December 2019, and you can get it from the link on this page:  http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=3018.  The program does other interesting things like allow you to create a high quality SNP file that covers all the SNPs covered by the major SNP sites in a file just under 50mb so most sites that will take an SNP file will take it, but it has the quality from a 30x full genome read. 

One issue, there is a site that requires 15x or better for the Y reads to get the best results.  That might be ambiguous if they really intended to say, Y from a 15x or better read rather than that quality for the Y itself, as it is apparently hard to get from a 30x genome.  

Does anybody know of a program to put together two BAM files?  That might be another way to do it. 
Quote 2 0
huskies
Thanks to everyone that responded!  Really great explanations and examples.  I learned a bit more than I knew before. I don't think I'm ambitious enough combine/analyze my DNA tests from ancestry, ftdna, 23andme, and livingdna. Interesting to see that analysis though.  Also WGS Extract, great to know it's there.  I might install and take a peek at that.
Quote 0 0
juan
You should also take into account that the coverage frequency approximates a Poisson distribution, so if the mean coverage is 15x, some few regions are expected to get a 4x coverage (-11x) while other few regions get 26x (+11x) coverage.
Quote 1 0
Petr
The program that produced this BAM analysis is WGS Extract, released in December 2019, and you can get it from the link on this page:  http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=3018. 

Just a note - the current WGSExtract version is from February 18th, 2020.
Quote 1 0
Randy H
This is the direct link to the tool that will stay current:  bit.ly/36Jdpnq. Soon to be moved (manual, release and code) to GitHub.
Quote 2 0